Sunday, November 15, 2009

Kathy's Famous Swope Bread

Back in the days when I was growing up in Mohegan Lake, a few families in the neighborhood decided to start a bread club. The breads were all so different that it was always a treat, and something I think it is safe to say that we all very much looked forward to. I can't remember now what everyone contributed, but there are three that I still find myself hankering after sometimes. Nate & Dad's cinnamon-raisin bread, Mom's oaties, and Kathy's quick bread. Kathy was kind enough to share her recipe with me a couple months back and I've been meaning to share it here ever since. (I'm still working on getting Mom's oaties recipe, and Nate & Dad's cinnamon-raisin bread, alas, may be lost to the ages forever.)

Kathy's Famous Swope Bread
(Makes 2 loaves)

4 cups unsifted whole wheat flour
2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 quart buttermilk (or 3 1/2 cups milk acidified with 1/2 cup vinegar)
2 teaspoons baking soda

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.

Combine flours, sugar and salt. Combine buttermilk and baking soda; stir into flour mixture. Turn into prepared loaf pans.

Place in oven. Turn down heat to 350 degrees. Bake 1 hour 10 minutes or until done in center when tested with toothpick. Remove from pans and cool on rack.

Kathy notes that she uses cider vinegar, and that she mixed the milk and vinegar at the beginning to give it a few minutes to "sit."

I didn't have buttermilk or regular milk when I made this batch yesterday so I used just under 4 cups of homemade yogurt with a little vinegar. Turned out deliciously, and I've been munching on it ever since (though I've tucked away the second loaf in the freezer, as apparently this bread freezes well and even I probably can't get through two loaves in a week).

1 comment:

Kathy P - NY said...

I am honored that you not only posted this recipe but also called it "famous"!!! I'm glad you like it so much - those were fun days of the bread baking club and for so many other reasons. Hey, your Mom recently sent me the recipe for her Oaties bread - you want me to forward it to you?? I'll let you know that on fb as well just in case you don't see this! Talk to you soon - enjoy the bread!!