Saturday, April 07, 2007

black-bottomed cupcakes

These were one of my all-time favorite treats as a kid, and I started bringing them to the Lynch family Easter gatherings a couple years back after Mom passed the recipe down to me. They seemed to go over pretty well.

Mix together in medium bowl:
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cocoa

Mix & add to dry ingredients:
1 cup water
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Filling:
1 large package (8 oz.) cream cheese
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
beat together until smooth, then stir in 1 small package (6 oz) chocolate chips (I usually ignore this and stir in most of a large bag of chocolate chips)

Fill 18 paper lined cups 2/3 full of batter. Top each with 1 tablespoon filling. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. You won't regret it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Em,
I baked all day yesterday, the day before Easter, and decided to try this recipe. They were great! Actually, they're still great--I have a few left on the kitchen counter. Whatever I don't eat tonight will be given away, so we'll see how many Maria, Daniela, and I get through. The only deviation I made from your recipe is that I decided to make 12 big cupcakes instead of 18. This almost turned into a nightmare because it looked like they were going to overflow all over the oven. Thankfully, that didn't happen.
Thanks,
Ben.