Monday, April 28, 2008

dinner party in hell's kitchen

Chris & Andrew threw another lovely dinner party this past Saturday night. My contribution? Roasted sweet potatoes. I think my favorite part of the whole meal were Nathan's collard greens. You'll have to ask him for that recipe, though.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes:
4-5 large sweet potatoes (there were about 15 people there)
Most of a small bottle of maple syrup, courtesy of my boss (Christmas present)
Several tablespoons of chopped up crystalized ginger
1-2 tablespoons of butter
Cayenne pepper to taste
Black pepper to taste
Several tablespoons lime or lemon juice

Peel and cube the sweet potatoes and place in a glass roasting dish. In a small bowl, mix half of the maple syrup (maybe half a cup? not sure), ginger, butter (softened), cayenne pepper, black pepper, and lime or lemon juice. Pour over the sweet potatoes and stir well. Place in an oven at about 450 degrees. C&A's oven's temperature is temperamental, so I'm not exact on this. I had it set at 500, which they swear is much lower than that. When the potatoes started to blacken a bit on the top I started taking them out to give a good stir every 10-15 minutes or so, and ended up pouring the rest of the maple syrup in after an hour or so since they seemed to be drying out a bit even with the stirring.

I think they were in the oven a total of about 1.5 hours, give or take a bit. This will obviously vary from oven to oven, so be sure to keep an eye on them after the first hour or so.






No comments: