Sunday, July 17, 2011

zucchini 'bisque'*

2 tablespoons butter
1 yellow onion, chopped coarsely
2 largish zucchinis, diced coarsely
1 box chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (or fresh grated to taste -- I happen to love nutmeg)
salt & black pepper to taste

Saute the onion in butter until softened. Add some nutmeg, a pinch of salt, a dash of pepper. Add zucchini, let cook for several minutes, then add broth and enough water to cover the zucchini in the soup pot.  Let simmer for 15 or so minutes until the zucchini is tender, then let cool, then blend in the pot with a stick blender. Taste, and add salt and pepper and more nutmeg to taste.

I've been eating this slightly warm today, but will probably eat it chilled tomorrow.  Would also be good hot.  Probably also delicious with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and a piece of crusty bread. If only Evan were here to work his magic, it would be even more delicious if the bread had home-made butter on it, but I'm too lazy for those shenanigans. Besides, there's knitting to do. And three more zucchinis to figure out something to do with.

*I admit it: I kind of hate zucchini. But I love this soup. Oh CSA, bring it on!

No comments: