Tuesday, March 18, 2008

quote of the day & other miscellanies

"I must say, I'm a little envious. If I were slightly younger and not employed here, I think it would be a fantastic experience to be on the front lines of helping this young democracy succeed. It must be exciting for you … in some ways romantic, in some ways, you know, confronting danger. You're really making history, and thanks."
-our illustrious leader, addressing troops currently stationed in Afghanistan

I must say, Georgie darling, that you won't be employed here much longer, that the war will certainly continue beyond your termination date, and that some might argue you have the mental capacity of an adolescent (or, alternatively, a psychopath -- I hear the military's hard up for recruits these days). So go. Act out your romantic fantasies of combat duty since you missed out during Vietnam. Confront danger. Spread democracy. Make history. And, you know, thanks.

On a more domestic note, my beloved alma mater, Barnard, figured prominently in an article recently about the ever expanding horizons of gender. Specifically the place of transmale students at women's colleges. Just don't ask me about my take on this, because I haven't quite figured it out yet myself.

In yet another addition to the chronicles of Texas, a woman threw her children off a bridge the other day, and then jumped. Somehow they all survived.

Last, and I'm not sure which rock I've clearly been living under, but I just recently saw that there's a Broadway musical about my beloved neighborhood! Huh.

No comments: