Thursday, May 15, 2008

questions, quotes, & good news

I get asked a lot of questions during the course of any given day. Work questions, personal questions, easy questions, stupid questions, unanswerable questions. But this one, from a friend of mine leaving soon for Australia, definitely takes the cake: Hey Emily, I forgot to ask you an important question in our last round of messages. Would you be willing to be the keeper of my sex toys for awhile?

How can a person say no to a question like that, I ask you?

In other news, in case you've been living under a rock today, the biggest (population-wise) state in the union has officially declared that it is unconstitutional to ban gay marriage. Oh state of my early childhood, how I adore thee.

In case you were getting bored with the FLDS fiasco in Texas, there is apparently another (and even scarier) polygamist cult under investigation in that same great state. Don't worry, this isn't a death cult a la Jonestown or Heaven's Gate or anything. As the prophet Yisrayl Hawkins himself put it, "I'm not asking much out of you; I'm just asking that you be willing to die rather than leave this house." Remind me again why we didn't just let Texas go?

And then there's always my beloved Idaho offering itself up for a good laugh. This time in the guise of Walt Bayes, running for the Idaho House on a platform of (among other things) separate but equal bathrooms in public schools for straight and gay kids. Actually I don't think he's arguing equal, just separate.

The Bush quote of the day, actually an older quote but new to me, revolves around the incredible sacrifices he's made for the war effort:

"I don't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the Commander-in-Chief playing golf. I feel I owe it to the families to be as -- to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal."

I don't even know what to say about that, so probably it's best not to say anything. But it does remind me of Bush's ever so empathetic take on the Katrina disaster as he flew over New Orleans in Air Force One. If I remember correctly, it went something like this, "It's devastating, it's got to be doubly devastating on the ground." Indeed, I'm sure it's got to be. Maybe even triply so.

Maybe we can make up a new yellow ribbon: Support Our Troops. Give Up Golf.

At least we still have California.

No comments: