Thursday, December 08, 2005

just a little bit o' teen angst

I don't know why it got in to my head the other day, I must have been listening to something that reminded me of it, but I suddenly had to go dig out my old Belly album, the first one, the one that I listened to incessantly the summer before my senior year of high school. Chris was surprised, said, "I don't think you've played that since we've been together!" and to the best of my knowledge, he's right. But I put it on as we were cooking dinner, and at first I couldn't quite figure out why I'd liked it so much. Chris was politely tolerant, and I was a bit befuddled, and then Feed the Tree came on. And I had to go turn up the volume. And there's still something completely, if perhaps adolescently, compelling about Tanya Donnelly breaking into her chorus of:

Take your hat off, boy
When you're talking to me
And be there when
I feed the tree...

And it's not like I know what she's talking about, as far as the tree thing goes, but at 16 these lines felt like they could make me soar.

No comments: