Friday, February 20, 2009

toothpaste, or, the overwhelming drive of consumerism

I needed new toothpaste the other day and found myself transfixed in the dental hygiene aisle of my local drug store. I mean, how many damned toothpastes does the world really need?

My selection is relatively narrow, in that I use Sensodyne because unfortunately it's not just my personality that's prone, at times, to oversensitivity. But even within this one brand there are eight different kinds of toothpaste, and I can never remember, when faced with choosing one, which kinds I've tried and liked or not liked, or even which kind I currently have at home. Was it Fresh Mint or Original Flavor or Fresh Impact? What exactly does Cool Gel Fresh Flavor taste like, anyway? Did I get suckered in by the Extra Whitening last time? Which one was it that I really disliked? Why wouldn't I want Full Protection Plus Whitening, and why is there a separate Tartar Control when presumably tartar control is part of Full Protection Plus Whitening? Is their new ProNamel really going to reharden my enamel and protect my pearly whites from wine stains, fruit acids, and general wear and tear?

And that's only one brand, and a small one at that. Have you seen the ever-lengthening aisles of Crest? Of Colgate? Of Tom's of Maine? A girl could lose it in the toothpaste aisle, I swear to God.

1 comment:

Chiung-Yin said...

so so sooooooo true! i usually just go for cheapest of the common brands.