Wednesday, March 18, 2009

waiting for the FBI

A couple weeks ago I received an email from the ex-boyfriend's father. This isn't entirely unheard of, given that the ex-boyfriend's parents are still my landlords, but this particular email was rather surprising. The ex-boyfriend's father, one Gerard E. Lynch, is a federal judge here in the Southern District of New York, and now that the good guys are back in the White House, he's being considered for an appointment to the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals. But before the nomination can officially go forward the FBI has to do a thorough background investigation just to make sure that, you know, the judge in question doesn't have designs on overthrowing the government or something. This apparently includes speaking with any tenants the potential appointee may have, meaning me. Jerry was kind enough to give me a heads up.

I'm still waiting for that phone call, though now that the nomination has been officially leaked I'm guessing, with much relief, that it won't actually come. I'm also much relieved that the story's out -- as you long time readers know, this girl is sadly quite incapable of keeping mum about things she finds pleasing or exciting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When AJ was being considered for his post, I had to be interviewed by some briefcase-toter. It was shortly after our travels together in Italy, and I was one of the few who could validate the nature of his trip. After those questions were satisfied, then came the other most pressing matter.

I suspect it was due to my long hair, beard and freaky demeanor that caused Mr. Spook to ask about the topic of past drug use. He kept trying to slip me up by asking the same question in other ways, inserting niceties between the questions, etc. I think he felt I was intentionally stonewalling him when he finally broke down with, "Well, he admits to there being this one time...to which he claims you were present." My response was along the lines of, "Huh...I don't remember that..." And then he made his way.

Emma said...

Evan, funny you should mention AJ -- I also got a call about him since he'd put me down as his landlady. But they called me at work one day before I arrived and freaked out my colleague, who met me at the door demanding to know what kind of trouble I'd gotten myself into and should he have lied about my whereabouts! Which is all in part why I was grateful that Jerry thought to let me know in advance...