Thursday, June 11, 2009

chairs in Times Square & other local and not so local goings on

Apparently brightly colored plastic folding lawn chairs are taking over Times Square. I kid you not. I have yet to see this in person, but might have to take a wander down there just to check it out for myself. Nate and I would make fortresses out of such chairs when we were kids, out in the back yard. But we only had two of them. Imagine what we could do with the 376 chairs that are inhabiting midtown...

Also apparently the Democrats don't control the New York State Senate even when they control the New York State Senate. We should have known it was too good to last, I suppose, but still, Empire State politics continues to astound and confound me.

I found this piece on Supreme Court Justices, and how grumpy, belligerent, dismissive justices often make the best justices, oddly charming.

Also from today's Times, Verlyn Klinkenborg's lovely little take on the language, or lack of language, with which the land talks to him. I really like Klinkenborg.

Further afield, something known as 'orbital chaos' might send Venus and Earth crashing into each other, but not for another 3.5 billion years, give or take.

No comments: