Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Olympic watch

I've found myself excited about the Olympics this winter, probably for the first time since high school. My parents and I loved watching the figure skating competitions, and once every four years I got a free pass on staying up way past my bedtime for these events. We loved Debi Thomas, and we loved to hate Katarina Witt, and it broke our hearts a little when working-her-way-through-medical-school Debi lost to East Germany's little princess.

I've been half-watching, half-knitting, half wondering what the hell the big deal is, half unable to turn off the television. The pairs finished last night, the men began tonight, and the women and the ice dancers are still to come. In between, of course, there's luge and moguls and alpine skiing and nordic skiing and snowboarding and speed skating (adorable little JR Celski...) and curling (I still have never seen curling!) and all the rest.

And here, for my dad, who rhapsodized for years about Torvill & Dean's Bolero, and who I'm pretty sure came closer to tears than he'd care to admit when Debi Thomas lost the gold:



1 comment:

shelley c. said...

Thank you so much for posting those videos. I can't tell you the last time I watched the Bolero routine, but it is so iconic, I think I will be watching it (and humming it!) all day!!