Wednesday, May 26, 2010

bookthinking

I have been preoccupied lately with deciding which books I will bring on our cross-country train expedition. While our departure on June 6th is still over a week and a half away, we've got various houseguests and a wedding inbetween and I am feeling time closing in on me a bit. I've narrowed it down to seven (see below), for the moment at least, but then I started reading The Gunslinger and am almost done so now it's down to six. And one of them is about the aftermath of the Rwandan genocide, and do I really want to be reading that on my summer vacation? And one of them is the second novel in Stieg Larsson's trilogy, which, while pretty entertaining are also pretty atrociously written (or maybe it's just lost in translation) and a bit dry. So I might have to reassess this pile and start all over again.

Evan gave me a pained look the other day, a humorous roll of the eyes, and said, "Emily. How long exactly do you imagine we'll be on the train, anyway?" But 72 hours is a damned long time, and for how many hundreds of miles can flat and often empty landscapes really hold one's attention, and it seems to me bringing along seven books and two (or three) knitting projects is not at all overdoing it.

* * * * *
Jill and I have been discussing George R. R. Martin's infamous (or at least infamously longwinded) Song of Ice and Fire books. It's been an unexpected delight, this recent book-talking with Jill, because it's just not something we often do. I don't say this in the context of there being something lacking in our friendship -- we have known each other for nearly thirty years now and have a plethora of stories and interests and histories to join us. It's just that reading hasn't ever really been among them. I love that it is now. I love reading, and I love talking about reading, and I love Jill.

* * * * *
Friend Christopher L. is apparently at Book Expo America today, about which I am insanely jealous.

* * * * *
Mom and Paul arrived safely home Monday afternoon after three weeks of traveling around Japan and Borneo. We chatted for a bit later that evening and Mom mentioned that she'd brought several books on the trip but, horror of horrors (my words, not hers), she finished all of them before the trip home. Out of sheer desperation she bought a book at an airport store but then finished that half way through the flight.

I, aghast, said, "So what did you do?!?"
She, in her ever placid way, replied, "Well, I took a nap."

* * * * *
Maybe, just maybe, I should draw a page from her book and relax a little bit about bringing the perfect library on our expedition via train to the western wilds. Or maybe what I really need for my birthday is a Kindle. My dear M offered me the loan of hers for this trip, but though I was grateful, I had to decline -- knowing my luck I'd probably sit on the poor thing, or drop it into the icy June waters of Lake Coeur d'Alene, or leave it behind somewhere like so much cast-off detritus. I don't think I ever really want an E-book reader -- there is something to be said, a huge something to be said, for the feel of paper between fingers, the ability to indulge in my habit of flipping through the corners of the pages as I read, that subtle book smell I love so much. Though not all books are worth owning, the experience itself of reading a book, however bad, seems so much more magical to me than reading that same book on a screen.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

A) Yes, you are totally overthinking AND packing too much!! I know becuase I used to do this re books all the time. Part of my issues is I would also buy books while away that were special to where I was...and then neglect what I had brought.
B) the Kindle is worth it; not all books are worthy of 'book worship'. I still get print books, but there was never going to be any way I was going to read Gotham without it. Also...out of books? Download more! Problem sloved. If I really love ove love it, I have no issue buying a paper copy...but that just hasn't come up. This means that the books I now do have comming in and being kept really are special or something I will read again and, let's face it, 90% of what we read (or more) really isn't all that life-changing in the long run. It's the act of reading and expanding your mind which is so important.
C) Thanks for playing host!! I hope everyone is getting along lol

Jill said...

I loved that conversation too...and now that I've upped my reading exponentially, I have so much more to rap about...books and Lost. Love you too :)