Friday, August 17, 2007

mcintosh replaced

McIntosh, Barnard's student center for decades, was never a particularly useful or practical building, and certainly didn't do much aesthetically or architecturally speaking. Yet I have a soft spot for dear old McIntosh, given the many, many hours spent there over the years, listening to strange and wonderful music (Karl Blau, the Microphones, Suzanne Vega, Rhythms of Aqua), talking for hours over long, drawn-out lunches on Friday afternoons, attending the scandalous gay prom, religiously checking my mail box in the hopes of finding something from distant friends & family, waiting on interminable lines to pick up Mom's care packages, not paying attention to the string quartet that played before my father's Barnard memorial service. I will miss this building, in all of it's ugly 1970s glory. But Barnard needs something better, and bigger, and more useful, and hopefully more beautiful. I don't know that I'd have chosen to call it the Nexus, but that's just me. More practical information here.

No comments: