Thursday, October 09, 2008

what i want for christmas

What I want for Christmas (other than, you know, world peace, Obama in the White House, and a winning lottery ticket) is this new ebelskiver pan.

My family has been making ebelskivers since time immemorial, traditionally for birthday or company breakfasts. Quite a few years ago I gave Nate an ebelskiver pan of his very own for Christmas and he began carrying on the family tradition in fantastic fashion, even upping the ante by adding blackberries or bits of banana to the ebelskivers (unheard of in my parents' purist ebelskiver interpretation, involving nothing more than simple 'skivers, powdered sugar, and preferably Mom's home-made raspberry jam).

But now, what with Nate far away on the West Coast, I'm thinking perhaps it's about time I indulge in purchasing one for my own kitchen. I'm not quite sold, though, on this Williams-Sonoma version. The one I bought for Nate was, I think, solid cast-iron and heavy enough to brain a moose with. This one looks a little lightweight, bantam-esque even.

On the other hand, it only costs half the price of that cast-iron monster, so maybe it's worth a go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard a lot about these aebleskiver things. Most recently during my visit to PDX. I've never had them, but I have had takoyaki which is like aebleskiver but contain octopus instead of apple. It is the most delicious thing in the world, and is cooked in the same kind of pan.