Monday, November 24, 2008

received

Two mysterious text messages of unknown origin arrived this morning. My hope is that the sender figures out why the recipient may not be replying in a timely fashion. And I am reminded, in trying to decipher their meaning (a diminutive Rosetta stone to the next generation), that I am in some ways too old for such things. I find it difficult, even within the confines of texting, to eschew the grammatically required apostrophes, and am loath to disembowel words of their lovely vowels or silent consonants. One might argue, I suppose, that they embody a certain innate poetry, a quickness of thought, of key stroke, that captures an undulating vocal linguistic style to which we are not often exposed in print. But one also might not.

Itz jess y u at da hospital bri told me

Ima hit u up when i get home do nt txt dis num ite ma 1

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, I think you mean loath, not loathe.

Maia said...

I had to learn to be a really fast texter because I am neurotic about making sure they're properly spelled and punctuated. I'm the same way with IM. MLB told me he thought it was really cute when we first started dating that I always capitalized OK on Gchat. At first he thought I was just being really emphatic but eventually he figured out that I was only using proper capitalization. Apparently it's part of my charm.

Emma said...

Anon, I stand corrected.

Maia, I'm glad I'm not the only neurotic one!