Monday, December 08, 2008

logic

I was thinking on Saturday, over the course of an evening spent making ebelskivers and helping Chris and Andrew decorate their first Christmas tree, about Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and his band of merry misfits.

This got me to feeling a bit nostalgic for all those old Christmas movies I adored so much as a child, Rudolph and Frosty the Snowman and March of the Wooden Soldiers (aka Babes in Toyland), and how excited I would get about watching them every December.

Except that they inevitably caused a bit of conflict in our household, because they inevitably conflicted with the nightly news. My Dad was an avid watcher of the nightly news and, as with so many things, he and I shared a certain propensity for extreme stubbornness.

My argument, of course, was the indisputable stance that these movies only came on once a year and he got to watch the news every other night. His argument, of course, was that the movies were the same damned thing every year and the news was different every single night.

He generally had the good grace to let me win.

No comments: