Wednesday, October 28, 2009

politics as usual II

Oh New York, how easy it is to love you, but also how easy it is to be disgusted by you, especially when it comes to politics.

We've got a city-subsidized* brand new $1.5 billion baseball stadium already falling apart (and already in violation of ADA compliance regulations) brought to us by companies either linked to the Mob or under indictment. It's always so heartening to know where our tax money goes.

We've got Bernard Kerik, once upon a time NYC Police Commissioner, close friend to one Rudolph Giuliani, and George W. Bush's nominee for Secretary of Homeland Security, now being indicted on 16 counts of conspiracy, corruption, tax fraud, and mail fraud, and facing jail time pending his upcoming trial.

We've got a mayor who, drunk on the glory of elected office, saw fit to overturn New York's term limits in order to run for a 3rd term, spending millions upon millions of dollars in a race in which he's been consistently well ahead in the polls ("blowout" is the term currently being bandied about as a probable outcome of next week's election), and bringing in the aforementioned Giuliani, race-baiter and fear-monger extraordinaire, to campaign on his behalf. As a friend of mine recently put it, "Right, if you're already winning, why piss off half your constituency by bringing in the fascist?"

All in all, I'm still not decided on who I'll vote for come next Tuesday morning (and all you loyal readers know how much I love to pull that lever). It seems poor Thompson is a lost cause at this point, but it's bound to be low voter turnout and it'd be nice to see Thompson at least give Bloomberg a run for his money.**

*"In 2006 the New York Yankees were given about $1.5 billion in tax benefits and public funds for the building of a new Yankees Stadium. Over $500 million was direct cash and tax relief."

**Bloomberg's taking a lot of flak these days about how much money he's blowing through on this campaign alone ($85 million and counting) and cumulatively on all of his campaigns ($250 million and counting), though it's also been pointed out that $250 million is about what was spent on the latest Harry Potter movie. It is, granted, an insane amount of money, and renders the whole election process arguably up for grabs to the highest bidder. But still, doesn't it seem a little perverse to compare it to the cost of a movie? $250 million to run one of the biggest cities in the world for twelve years compared to $250 million for a few hours' entertainment? And the first one is the one worth condemning? Really?

4 comments:

Mike said...

He's not perfect, but if you care at all about livable streets, car-free spaces, bike lanes, and the like, then there's no way you should even think about voting for anyone but Bloomberg.

Emma said...

Seriously? Don't you think we should always think about whom we vote for, whether we decide to vote for the status quo in the end or not?

It's not that I don't like a lot of what Bloomberg's done. But I'd also like to think it doesn't take a billionaire to buy an election, and I'd like to think that when the people set term limits, the politicians follow them, and I find Giuliani's participation in this campaign offensive.

Mike said...

Oh, of course we should think about whom we vote for! I have issues that I take very seriously, and those are the issues on which I made my decision. Thompson has promised to fire the transportation commissioner and rip up bike lanes, and that's totally unacceptable to me.

I don't mind that Bloomberg is a billionaire, if he's going to be a better mayor, and all signs point that way.

Regarding term limits, I personally oppose them, so that doesn't bother me. I think voters should have more choices, not fewer.

The Giuliani thing was regrettable, but it doesn't mean that Bloomberg wouldn't be a better mayor.

Emma said...

Yeah. I guess maybe I need to relearn to ride a bicycle. And in all honesty I'll probably end up voting for Bloomberg regardless of my qualms. I just like to think about other options is all, especially since he's been pissing me off lately.