Saturday, August 18, 2012

'hey my love do you believe that we might last a thousand years or more if not for this...'

I have a friend who adores Dave Matthews Band. I, as I am sure you are not overly surprised to learn, do not adore Dave Matthews Band, but they do have one song that I have loved ever since first hearing it in 1996.

But the thing is, I don't think I've heard it much since then, and apparently my connection to it doesn't have much to do with reality.  I was explaining to her, over a couple of beers the other night, that Dave Matthews always seemed kind of facile to me, and frat-boyish, and easy. Except this one song that I loved, and that always felt dark and drugged and tinged with tragedy and danger. She asked me what song it was, and I told her, and she just looked at me funny and laughed and started reciting lyrics.

Celebrate we will
'Cause life is short but sweet for certain

We're climbing two by two
To be sure these days continue


No doubt she has a point, but I still stand by mine too. I don't know that I know many songs as sad, as beautifully desperate, as this, and even after nearly fifteen years, despite all its lovely pretty lyrics, it still brings me to tears.

No comments: