Monday, July 07, 2008

changing of the guard & other tidbits

The Anchorage Daily News posted an interesting video last week that just completely demonstrates the glaring differences between the old school fear-mongering that is the GOP (here channeled through Ted Stevens' rantings about protecting us from "intruders from outside" and the horror of America turning into Italy or France) and the pleasingly fresh, sane voice of the Democratic new guard (here given voice by Anchorage's own Mayor Mark Begich, David to Stevens' Goliath in the Alaska senate race).

Also of note, the Carpetbagger's 'When a candidate unveils an economic plan -- without any numbers,' on Team McCain's new and miraculous economic promises (and the free ride they're getting from the media).

And lastly, the scary One News Now Christian news organization ran a piece recently that has, for the first time in my life, made me regret getting kicked out of the Girl Scouts (or maybe it was Brownies? Who can remember these things) in first grade. Any organization that can work the fundamentalists up in to such a tizzy has just got to be doing something right, and now oh how I wish I'd stuck it out long enough to write an essay like "
All I Really Need to Know About Being a Lesbian I Learned at Girl Scout Camp."

1 comment:

Maia said...

Ted Stevens crazy.

Sometimes when I tell people I'll never let my sons join the Boy Scouts they ask me why I don't have a problem with the Girl Scouts. The answer: The Girl Scouts actually embrace the American ideals in which I believe.