Friday, July 18, 2008

"rapid" transit

So Chris and Lisa and I went to the Bronx Zoo last Sunday to ogle the lemurs in all their adorable wonderfulness (pictures coming soon -- I've had a busy week, okay?). We had a jolly old time, though I was kind of dreading the trek back to Washington Heights afterwards. But once Chris and I got his mom safely on the Metro North train back to New Haven we caught one of those new-fangled BX12 buses up on Fordham Road and, amazingly enough, it was faster than I expected! And a welcome air-conditioned oasis after an afternoon at the zoo.

Nate was pretty excited when I told him about this. Urban planning being his gig and all, and the fact that he does after all work for the MTA, goes a long way to explain his enthusiasm for transit talk. I was glad to partake in said talk (and to watch this interesting video on public bus transit in Bogota), and will sorely miss having Nate to complain to about my temperamental A train refusing to go to my subway stop most weekends and the shuttle buses refusing to work to my liking.

And speaking of urban planning, there was a fascinating article in the Times recently about urban gardening. See, Evan, you could come to New York and garden in a skyscraper instead of your backyard!

No comments: