Wednesday, July 21, 2010

dinners

Dinner tonight found me and Nick serenading Dan with a (decidedly off-key) rendition of Tiffany's (rather unfortunately gender-'corrected') rendition of I Saw Her Standing There.  (Wouldn't dear Tiffany just be that much more adorable if she was crooning over another adorably dolled-up '80s girl?)

The thing is, Nick and I have a long history of dining together, sharing everything from not losing track of language to sharing strangely prescient moments to tolerating my tirades to sharing moments of unexpected grief to indulging in pride on his behalf to taking many pictures of to yet more discussions of language to old songs to confessions to shared love for old school science fiction to more music to commiseration to random news to dreams (well, at least that one came true in so far as the hot blonde) to ridiculousness to 9/11 to chocolate to many more shared stories before this blog's beginnings (going back at least to the fall of 1999 if not a bit earlier even than that).

Having Dan join us in our nearly weekly dinners is a more recent incarnation.  And having my boyfriend Evan and Nick's girlfriend Sarah (sweet girl of the above chocolate story) is even more recent than that.  And I like these new iterations of our nearly weekly dinners, 99% of the time.  But in certain moments, in a caught breath between the thought in my head and the words coming out of my mouth, I miss our one-on-ones, our tete-a-tetes.  It is a new reality (and a good reality), these expanded dinners of ours, but it takes some getting used to.

No comments: