Tuesday, April 17, 2007

i know there's nothing to say

I had wanted to write something about Virginia Tech today, or about the Columbia Journalism student who was assaulted in her own home this past weekend, but I can't even begin to get my head around these things, and what words are there that could possibly begin to encompass either of them? My mother called last night just to check in, to make sure I was all right, to be sure of me in the face of incomprehensible, if distant, tragedy. In times like this, what can you do but reach out and make sure that the people you love are still intact, still living and breathing and carrying on?

There's really nothing to say, other than you're sorry something happened. I'm so sorry this happened.

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
"Pooh," he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw.
"I just wanted to be sure of you."

No comments: