Saturday, September 22, 2007

controversy on campus

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, of the lovely nation of Iran, will be speaking here at good old Columbia in a couple days during his whirlwind trip to New York City to address the United Nations General Assembly. His request to lay a wreath at Ground Zero has already been soundly slapped down.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about all of this, about his speaking here, his request to honor the dead of 9/11, the rejection of said request, the fact that I will have to go through security to get to work next week to protect a man who would probably argue that people such as myself should be in prison. Or executed, what with the feminist tattoo, short hair, and unfortunate tendency to ridicule and condemn religion of all ilks.

I wonder, too, if Saudi Arabian leaders wanted to lay wreaths at Ground Zero, would we let them? The hijackers were not, as far as I know, from Iran, but Ahmadinejad is more publicly offensive, and a part of the Axis of Evil and all, and Saudi Arabia is not, even though most of the hijackers were Saudi Arabian. It's just so much easier to hate Iran, and its strange and sometims funny leader, than it is to hate a country we are dependent on for our oil.

See the article here, which I am pleased to say will be accessible to everyone now that the New York Times has finally given up their annoying online restrictions. As they so modestly put it in their ad campaign promoting their new open-access policy, "Now everyone is entitled to our opinions." Sounds a little like me.

No comments: