Tuesday, August 23, 2011

one of those things

I went down to the park by the river after work today to meet up with a woman I hadn't seen in over ten years.  For all the weight she's carried all this time, it's odd to think that we were actually only a part of each others lives for a year or so, much of that intermittently.  We met over the summer of '98, I left New York in January of '99, and by the time I moved back to the city six months later we weren't really talking to each other much.

And now here we are (gifted or cursed with the ubiquitousness that is Facebook) getting together for a walk & talk down by the river, a decade after the fact.

I was feeling pretty anxious about the whole thing, to be honest, though I figured the worst that could happen was we'd look at each other funny and make awkward small talk until it was polite to go. The best, maybe, was that we'd remember why we liked each other so much in the first place, before all the drama kicked in. And that, which I'm hoping may have been the case, would be really nice.

Can it be this simple? The possibility of someone so long lost slipping back into your life, the possibility of being found?

No comments: