Thursday, August 25, 2011

the price of happiness

Luckily I only had a ten dollar bill this morning and didn't try to hand over my usual dollar and a quarter, because as my dear deli guy gave me back my change there was an awkward pause, and then he said that the price of coffee had gone up by a quarter.

I must have looked somewhat stunned for a second because he actually began apologizing profusely, but my moment of feeling stunned was more embarrassment and wondering when had that happened, and how many mornings have I unwittingly been underpaying them, and them too embarrassed to demand another quarter.

Finally I laughed and said it's actually about time. I've been paying $1.25 for my morning coffee for probably ten years, after all, and it seems only fair that they get to raise their prices once a decade.

No comments: