Wednesday, August 31, 2011

walking while oblivious, or, the facilities guys & me

I've been walking around even more oblivious than usual lately, and that's saying a lot. (Once I got a phone call from my best friend, laughing uproariously, because her husband had just walked in the door concerned that somehow he'd pissed me off -- apparently I'd walked right by him on the street without acknowledgment despite his repeated hellos and it took her a long time to convince him that's just how I am.)

Anyway, I've been walking around lately happily staring up at the trees or something, I don't know what. And I keep running in to the same guy from Facilities.  Now, I like the Facilities guys and they like me, which means that when I call them at 4:50pm on a Friday because water is pouring down from the ceiling over one of the tables in the computer lab, they come running. And I like it like that.

But this one guy, a very nice guy, has begun to just chuckle when he sees me walking anywhere, and starts waving his arms around like a windmill from afar just to get my attention. I suppose at least it's become something of a running joke between us -- lord knows that's preferable to him thinking I'm ignoring him or mad or just being bitchy. Because next time the entrance doors to the library come slightly off their hinges, or it rains, or there is a strange padlock on the exit doors when I get to work in the morning, I want him to still come running when I call.

No comments: