Wednesday, March 05, 2008

henry the hexapus & other animalistic oddities

Marine biologists were astonished recently when they found an octopus that failed utterly to live up to its name. Isn't he just the cutest thing you ever saw?

Okay, maybe not. Actually, I think this video that Dave sent me awhile back is probably the cutest thing I have ever seen. Take a gander, if you will, at the swimming sloth. Dave claimed he saw this and it brought me to mind. I'm still not sure how to react to this.

And then there was Gail Collins' piece that mentioned a mallard, though it wasn't actually about a particular mallard, rather about presidential hunting season, so to speak. Definitely worth a look.

Last, in this catch-all critter post, dear family friend Jeff Rundell sent an email a month or so ago that I've been meaning to share: "I am reading about Noah's Ark in Wikipedia. Just after they say that about 2/3 of Americans believe in the ark, they say that 12% think Noah was married to Joan of Arc!" I can't help but wonder if that's the same 12% who think they've seen alien space ships.

Well, almost last. I've come to the unavoidable conclusion, after being cooped up in this apartment for days on end, miserable with the flu, that what I really need in my life is a cat. So after work tomorrow, it's on to the pet store for litter box, food bowl, food, etc. And then on Saturday it's on to the ASPCA to see if there isn't a little fluffball just waiting to come home with me.

2 comments:

Chiung-Yin said...

when are you going on saturday? can i come?

Emma said...

Hey Chiung-Yin, well my cat acquisition plans have changed suddenly - a dear friend of mine is looking for a new home for one of her cats, and I think my place will be that home! So probably no trip to the ASPCA after all, but I would love for you & Susan to come meet the new critter when I get her a couple weeks from now!