Wednesday, March 12, 2008

next nys governor?

It looks like David Paterson's rise to the governorship of New York State is inevitable, if not yet official.

I'm kind of ashamed to say that I didn't know much about the man, or his role as Lieutenant Governor this past year, until today, and I still don't know much. There's the obvious. He's black. He's blind. He would be the first black governor of New York (and only the fourth in the country). He would also be the first blind governor anywhere in the country. These are both pretty wonderful things, and major break-throughs in the ever ongoing fight for equality in all walks of life.

But beyond the historical aspect of his potential governorship, he would probably be a better governor than Spitzer. It seems that, despite being really, really smart, he actually gets along with people. He's got that big liberal heart, in that he apparently advocates gay marriage, stem cell research, and environmental awareness. And he's not only a Columbia College grad, but also an adjunct professor at the Columbia School of International and Public Affairs (Paterson - I handle library reserves - come talk to me!).

I'm taking this from the following sites, which are, of course, limited in scope and biased in content. Please let me know of any specific pieces you found informative, as I'd like to know more of the man who might be king, of this state at least.

New York State lieutenant governor page
Governing.com

No comments: