Wednesday, August 25, 2010

bells. also the walking dead.

We were down on the Bowery the other day looking for strange kitchen gadgets on the cheap, and one of the restaurant supply stores we found ourselves exploring had $5 bells. You know, the kind that sit on counters in motel lobbies the world over, at least in the movies and old novels.  Cute little silver dome-shaped bells with a little button on top just begging to be depressed.  By which of course I mean rung.  Sometimes irresistibly, just to hear that pleasingly harmonious jangly chime ring out again and again and again.  (At least this is how I feel about them sometimes.)

At any rate, we have such a bell at our reserves desk in the library and we are all well-trained, Pavlovian style, to jump at the ringing of said bell.  But sadly, our sweet little overworked bell has been rung beyond endurance and for awhile now has emitted only a sad little clunk instead of that pleasingly jangly chime.  We jump anyway, our ears well attuned to said clunk, but our dear patrons don't necessarily know this and sometimes stand there at the desk banging away at that bell, oblivious to our (almost always) internal cringes and grimaces and twitches.

 So you can imagine my excitement upon seeing that row of little boxes all neatly aligned, each containing a single shining bell, hidden deep in the bowels of one of those cavernous Bowery restaurant supply stores.  And finally this morning I remembered to bring it to work, chiming softly with my every step from within the confines of my beloved messenger bag.

It is early in the day still, and our doors have not yet opened to the public, yet here I sit in anticipation of that sound, that jangly harmonious chiming noise, ringing out through our cavernously dark basement library and brightening up yet another gray and rainy late-August day.

Also, The Walking Dead is coming soon to the little screen.  How excited am I? Pretty damned excited. Well, I would be more excited if I got AMC, but my technologically savvy boyfriend assures me that there are ways and then there are ways of getting around such minor impediments as that.

No comments: