Monday, August 23, 2010

comics & tweets

Evan and I headed to midtown yesterday afternoon in search of the perfect bowl of ramen, and came pretty close to finding it at Menchanko-tei.  But just as we were getting ready to head back out into the light of day, the skies opened up and a torrential downpour set in.  Luckily for Evan, Midtown Comics just happened to be literally next door to where we had been slurping up our noodles and Japanese picles.  Not so luckily for me, though:  at first because I was bored, and then eventually because I found such wonderful things and what I need just about as much as a kick in the head is something else to start spending my hard-earned money on.  Like the Walking Dead (only $38 for over 1000 of yummy zombie badness? How can a girl say no to that?).  And Buffy.  And more Sandman.  And this stunning little number.  And the lushly gorgeous comic-book rendering of the Dark Tower series, which I have been reading this summer in its original novel form.  Oh the temptation...

In other news, friend Zak posted this fascinating (and infuriating) Salon article yesterday explaining how the so-called "ground zero mosque" has been trumped up into a false scandal to win over votes in an election year.  All the controversy aside, I can't help but find it disturbing to think that we live in an era in which our politicians 'tweet' at us.  As in, "Sarah Palin had tweeted her famous 'peaceful Muslims, pls refudiate' tweet."

Headline I would like to see?  Sarah Tweets Her Last: former half-term Alaskan governor and failed vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin's twitter feed canceled permanently by order of defenders of the English language everywhere.

No comments: