Wednesday, January 23, 2008

catching up

Yesterday marked the 35th anniversary of Roe v. Wade.

I thought the rat I saw scurrying around the north end of the subway platform at 125th Street the other day was big, but that little guy didn't have anything on
this particular rodent.

This from Erik, who clearly also spends too much time surfing the web.

Shockingly enough, the pharmaceutical industry has been misleading us about the effectiveness of certain antidepressants. I just saw a Law & Order rerun about that very notion last week.

Which brings me to a bit of happier news. Fred Thompson officially withdrew from the presidential race yesterday and I can go back to watching Law & Order reruns without thoughts of the most annoying DA ever being the next leader of the free world.

The great state of Virginia demonstrated its ongoing commitment to guns for everyone last week. I mean really, why shouldn't the mentally ill or the criminally minded have open access to guns?

This from the Onion earlier this week.

The New York Times came out swinging against Giuliani yesterday in this rather disturbing look at a man way to petty and vindictive to be in charge of weapons of mass destruction.

There was an excellent piece in the Times awhile back about an abortion provider by the name of Susan Wicklund, and yesterday Salon ran a short interview with her. I'm very much wanting to read her book.

Somehow, years ago, I ended up on a CNN breaking news email list, or something, and so I get an email or two a day about the latest, greatest, tidbit of information, sometimes actual news, political or otherwise, but more often the latest scandal (O.J. arrested again!). Yesterday's was an announcement that Heath Ledger had been found dead in his apartment. Apparently of a drug overdose. I'm feeling pretty sad about this, more than I would have expected certainly, perhaps due to coming to terms recently with the fact that I actually really liked him.

And that's it. As Hard Harry would say, "I'm done. Stick a fork in me, it's been grand."

No comments: