Friday, January 04, 2008

iowa on my mind

I'm finding it very difficult to imagine Mike Huckabee as the front runner for the Republican presidential nomination. Obama, yes, I get that, and though I'm somewhat disappointed that Edwards didn't take Iowa, and that Clinton seems to be in difficulty, I can certainly still be excited by the notion of Obama for President. But Huckabee? The man who thinks it's funny to joke about his ignorance on foreign affairs just because the current occupant of the White House has the intellectual curiosity of a door knob? The man who stands by his statements concerning quarantining AIDS victims? The man who claims that his entire life revolves around his faith and his belief in Jesus? (But then condemns his opponents for failing to execute people and defends his support for executing people by arguing that if Jesus were against capital punishment, he would have begged for clemency from the cross) Good Lord, please save us from ourselves.

I've also been confused about the logistics of an actual caucus, given that here in good old New York, we just go into an old-fashioned voting booth, draw the curtain shut, and pull a bunch of levers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't see Huckabee as being honestly viable. He's too batshit crazy to be president. He HAS to be!